Church

Church
Come as you are...you are not to bad to come in and not to good to stay out! Join us for Worship and Fellowship!

January 16, 2011

...are you pickin' up what I'm puttin' down?

Do you ever consider the Pastor’s job? His job is to teach us…the congregation…some of whom are very bright and understand clearly, and some who will tilt their head with a “huh?” look on their face. Really, there must be a lot of stress on a pastor to choose scripture and then choose metaphors; implicit comparisons, figurative language, symbols, etc., that work together to teach each and everyone in the congregation! I imagine that after the pastor has laid it out and made the point, they look out at the people in the pews and in their mind they are asking…are you pickin’ up what I’m puttin’ down?!

I believe Pastor Cherry does a fine job of teaching all of us…that being said, let’s see how well I’m trackin’!

Today’s sermon was in part a re-cap on last week, “Look to the Clouds”. (refresh your memory -- read last weeks blog first! )

(Last week) I Kings 18:41-46

(This week) I Kings 19: 1-18

**I Kings 19:11
The LORD said, “Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the LORD, for the LORD is about to pass by.” Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. 12 After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. (NIV)

...If we wonder why we don’t hear the voice of God…maybe, we should focus on the problem first. The problem being us. Personal accountability to God. The solution...stay in the word, read it, share it, live it….God’s voice is clearer when we are thinking things of God! God’s voice doesn’t have to be like roaring thunder or waves crashing on the rocks, it can be just a whisper, "if" we are ready to hear it!

Come to church…let’s help each other to stay in the word!!
*Hebrews 10:24-25,
And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, 25 not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. (NIV)

Are you ready for this year, 2011, to be a great journey in your Faith…
Faith in Jesus Christ?! ...this year we want to be the people who love God!!
*Psalm 28:7-8
7 The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him. 8 The LORD is the strength of his people, a fortress of salvation for his anointed one.

Pay attention to the sermon so if your Pastor looks out and asks, “are you pickin’ up what I’m puttin’ down?!”, You can shout out a loud AMEN!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been meaning to comment for a while. The stories are great and the messages are inspirational. I look toward to the other posts. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for checking in with us! God bless!